Monday, June 1, 2009

You Can't Have My Vitals

"I'm just here to take your vitals" --Cheryl (the night nurse)
"I like them. You can't have them" --Me

Erek (one of my brothers, for those of you who don't know) and I were just watching Wall-E, until the silly hospital TV/movie/internet/other device stopped working (well, it still worked, it's just that it was kind of in slow motion, and was really hard to understand). So now Erek is downloading it, and it's got 14 minutes left (oh, now it has 15 minutes left. Time works strangely in hospitals, as I've mentioned before. :P ).

Yesterday and today have been pretty laid back. No hauling off to get poked under sedation, no big doctor parties in my room with question-and-answer sessions. Chemo started Friday, but it wasn't anything big and mean and un-comfy. But it DID kill cancer cells! I've been getting that stuff since then (three days, I guess). The first day of the next "phase" is tomorrow. That phase is 4 weeks long, called "Induction". It's when the stuff with more side affects starts. But at least the first time I'm given that is around 9 PM tomorrow, which they said is usually best for people.

I finally went out to the "play deck" yesterday, with dad, mom, and Erek. While mom ate lunch, the guys played basketball, which was quite fun to watch. I tried shooting a few hoops, but my port cuts hadn't quite healed, and it didn't feel very good. It was just really nice to be outside, partly in the sun, with a nice breeze.
Kara came out onto the deck and we actually got to hang out, which was awesome. She brought tons of movies, which I'm slowly working my way through (ok, I've only watched one so far (The Corpse Bride), but I'll get there eventually).
I found out that I can play both Foosball and Air Hockey. So Erek and I played each of those a couple of times. I discovered that playing Air Hockey with my right hand (I'm right handed) was painful, but that I could actually play better with my left hand all around. So that was fun, and I finally beat dad too. :)
The Womaks visited today, which was awesome. We all chatted for a while, and took pictures with Winnifred.
I slept until around 2 PM today, which was wonderful. It's not like I got tons of sleep, though (and I didn't stay up very late). Another discovery I made is that I wake up when the door opens and the nurse comes in. And that is NOT very loud. So I got woken up a lot (not at all her fault), and had to go to the bathroom a LOT (continuous IV fluids does that).
I took a shower today, the second one since I got here. It was a bit of an operation, covering up the IV equipment. The nurse (Cheryl) unplugged me from Winnifred, cut open a medium sized plastic bag (which was red, and said "Biohazard" on it), and taped it over the port, bandage, and tubes. We laughed at how I was a biohazard. It feels so good to be clean.
Raymi (my other brother) flew in from San Diego yesterday. But the problem is that he's got a cold, and can't visit yet. Sad! Apparently he hung out at the gaming store for a lot of today.
Someone has been playing pop music on the jukebox in the rec room for several hours. So I went on Pandora and blasted the speakers (heheh, not really) with Niall Vallely (an awesome concertina player).

Anyway, these are just some random tidbits, since I don't have any big exciting events to write about. :)

3 comments:

  1. Nobody comments here, they all comment on Facebook. But your blog needs some love, too. So I'm commenting on it. : ) We love you, and are rootin' for you, and thinking of you a lot. *hugs*
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, yes, I noticed that. But it's ok. =)
    Thank you tons. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read all your posts.
    You are an amazing inspiration.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences.
    It's kind of like reading the Diary of Anne Frank, hearing the inside scoop on being a cancer patient. Also, I've enjoyed reading your mom's postings. I am so lucky that our paths crossed and I was able to get to know both of you way back when........
    God bless!
    Annette Ieda

    ReplyDelete