Friday, May 29, 2009

My Arms are Free of IVs

Not writing too much tonight. I'm going to try for an earlier night, so that maybe I'll be more awake during the day.
And also, I just wrote a bunch, and somehow lost it.
Today I got a spinal tap. They drew some spinal fluid and some more bone marrow. They also injected the first chemo stuff into my spinal fluid.
They took off all three of the IVs on my arms, so now they're just using the big one. Today stuff like the usual fluids (salt water and glucose), two units of blood (one quart total), and something else that I can't remember was running through the lovely clear tubing into a vain near my neck (not necessarily at the same time).

Winnifred now has a flamingo wrapped protectively around his neck. Her name is Gladys. I think she's there to keep me from jerking him around too much. But she's pretty cool, so I haven't given her a hard time about it. Also, one of the nurses suggested decorating Winnifred even more. I'm thinking something like a feather boa, if it doesn't get in the way too much.
I feel kind of bad that I haven't been outside for three and a half days. There is a deck, but whenever I feel like going out, it's too late (they close it fairly early, I don't know why). I'm definitely going outside tomorrow, if I can manage.
I hope this port stuff heals up soon. It hurts a lot. I took Tylenol for the first time ever yesterday. And more today. It actually WORKS?! Yeah, it did. That was in place of the kind of opiate that they ordered for me just in case. There's no way I'm taking that unless I'm in serious pain. I hate feeling weird, and they said it would probably make me feel that way.
Today and the next two days are called "Pro-phase". The stuff being put in me doesn't really have side affects. I can't remember what it's doing exactly. On Monday the nastier stuff starts. That's what I'm nervous for.

I played flute for the first time in a week today. It felt soooo good. But I was also really out of practice. I played Mozart a few times and did some long tones and scales. I'm definitely going to keep it up. My room actually has pretty good acoustics!
It was cool seeing my blood pressure change (it went up, I think) when I started playing. I was getting blood at the time, so the cuff was around my upper arm, and a machine checked my vitals automatically every fifteen minutes.
Then Jane came in, and that was awesome. We all (parents were there too) chatted for a while. She gave me Gladys!

Sylvia came this morning, and we got to hang out for a while, which was really good. We kicked my parents out, so they went across the hall and started to vigorously play air hockey. It was quite amusing. They were REALLY going at it.

Anyway, I'm going to at least try to sleep. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment